Friday, March 17, 2017

Yoga Perfect

Insta-worthy 
So many times, I hear how I'm in "great shape" & that so & so doesn't want to come to a yoga class, because they're not flexible.  Without offending them, I simply smile & encourage them to give it a try at least three times, before sweeping it to the side.  Why not give it a try once?  When you try something once, you feel so much discomfort & the chance of you giving up because of that ONE experience, is almost 80%.  A million things are going through your mind, like wtf is a "Tadasana" and why can't the stinkin' teacher say "stand tall" or something easier?!  The 2nd class, you're still pretty uncomfortable, but theres a little blip in your mind says "oh hey, I remember Downward Dog from last time!" and feel less awkward.  By that 3rd class, you're feeling more confidant.  You know where they keep the yoga blocks & you've found that sweet spot in the room that isn't too hot, and don't mind (as much) that you're not in the VERY BACK CORNER.

Struggle-bug w/ that gangsta lean

Sometimes they'll take me up on the offer, sometimes they smile condescendingly as they shove another cookie in their mouth.  Ohh well.  But what I really want to say, is that yoga isn't about flexibility.  Yoga isn't a religious cult following.  I promise that you'll sweat if you come to my class, it IS a real workout  No, I won't judge you when you "can't touch your toes" or if you accidentally fart in your downdog.  Ok, maybe I will silently judge a rancid fart, I'm human & I have a super human sense of smell, thanks to my kids.  Side note, you should have a light snack before class, say a piece of fruit... not a Big Mac.  You'll thank me.  

I also want to tell you that while I'm small, there are certain limits to my range of motion from injuries, and there are some things that I'll never be able to do in my practice, and I'm OK with that.  I'm also 35 and forget my left from right at least 15 times during class.  Our bodies are all different.  Our practice is all different.  There is a reason why it's called Yoga Practice & not Yoga Perfect.  No one, I repeat NO ONE, is perfect.  Along those same lines, your practice from day to day, will not be the same.  Your body is not symmetrical, there are imbalances.  I can almost guarantee that the person next to you has those same thoughts and concerns.  Once you roll out that mat, whether its from Lululemon or Walmart, you're in a safe space.  The only person that I'm judging, if I'm being 100% honest, is the person that complains that they want to come to a class to try yoga, but never do and truly have no intention to do so.  They are no closer to reaching their toes than the day before.  Maybe one day.

Part of my journey, is acknowledging my insecurities, and embracing them.  I've come a long way in my journey, but I'm still learning & trying to improve.  While I may be leading your class as the teacher, I'm still a student and have so much to learn.  

xo, Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment